9.05.2008

Filet, Anyone?

Yesterday Matthew decided that he wanted to take the blade off of my razor.  Well, the blade wanted to stay on.  The blade won.  Poor Matthew.  I was putting some clothes away in his room when I heard him start screaming.  Honestly, I thought he saw a bug, so I wasn't too concerned.  I just made my way towards him.  And then I saw all of the blood.  Lots and lots of blood.  He had cut his palm, right where the thumb meets it.  Ouchy!  I sat him down on a bench and tried to clean it up and wrapped it up with some gauze.  All the while James is handing Matthew his precious blanket, which he carries everywhere with him.  But then he would want it back, so he would take it and say "thank you!"  Then feeling sorry for his big brother, he would share it with Matthew again.  This repeated for a while.  I decided to take Matthew to the doctor to have his wound looked at.  It was really hard to see it because it would not stop bleeding.  And judging by the amount of skin left on the blade, it was a bad wound.  Oh.My.Goodness.It.Was.A.LOT!!!!!  Anyway, so we left for the doctor.  And the whole time Matthew is saying, "Why did I do that?  Why?"  "I shouldn't have done that."  

When the doctor looked at it, she said it was what they call a filet.  That name just makes me shudder.  The skin was so tore up that there was nothing she could do by way of sutures.  Anyway, she just cleaned it and wrapped it up.  And told me to put super glue on it when it finally stopped bleeding.  After she left the room Matthew said, "I was so so brave, Mom.  You're proud of me."  On our way home, he was excited to take the bandages off, and I told him that he would have to wear until morning.  "Oh no!  But I like to sleep with this hand under my pillow!"  Forget the horrible location of the wound (which I'm sure will cause it to take a long time to fully heal), all the skin and blood lost, he can't sleep with his hand under his pillow!  That's the real travesty here. 

8 comments:

mrs. timberlake said...

Mackenzie was two for two this week in regards to two days in school, two ouch reports. So I was feeling bad about her A) walking into the door jam and hurting her face and B) walking out of her shoe, and falling on her face.

Then, I read your blog. Matthew takes the cake on the ouch reports.

And thanks for ruining the word filet.

Wright Life said...

I am so sorry! That is horrible Matthew! And i'm even more sorry that is the hand you put under your pillow to sleep. That is a big bummer. I love you! Aunt K

The Huffies said...

Yuck, yuck, and double yuck! So sorry about the big owie, but what he was saying about "I shouldn't have done that..." is so funny, what a cute kid...wished you guys lived closer so our kids would know each other!

Lindsey M said...

My poor little guy. That breaks my heart. Tell him I love him and I think he is brave.

Laurie, the girls and Scott said...

Wow. That was an exciting day. Matthew, we're all proud of you. You were very brave (apart from the screaming).

Becky, Ryan, Oliver, Amelie, and Nora said...

Literally my stomach hurts a little at this, ouch, sorry Matthew, what a brave kid. He is so funny, he just must explore all the opportunities life has to offer, even if pain in involved. BTW, I am still laughing at the awwww snap story, your children are hilarious. I hope Oliver can be as entertaining. And Ryan and I are now saying, you better check yourself before you wreck yourself, love it.

Michelle said...

I had no idea he was such a funny kid :) I agree with you about the whole "filet" name thing, not fun...not fun at all.

Lisa B. said...

Oh, my heart goes out to the little guy. He sure is tough, my two drama queens would not have been so brave,